Daranginon is the name for the terraced rice fields that were created on a mountain slope in order to cultivate rice.
It is a famous spot showing an aspect of human life in harmony with nature.
The fields in Gacheon, Namhae cover steeply sloping land at the foot of Seolheulsan Mountain and Eungbongsan Mountain and are comprised of 100 curving terraces.
The high mountains in the back and the wide open sea in the front combine to create a rural scene of spectacular beauty.
There are no exact records on the origin of Gacheon Village, but according to materials on the Gimhae Kim clan and Haman Jo clan, who have lived here from generation to generation, it is estimated to date back to the time of King Sinmun of Silla.
There is also a story that Maitreya was believed to be responsible for the rice cultivation, and that the six rocks at the foot of the mountains mark the spots where six Buddhas achieved salvation, indicating that life here began before the Goryeo Dynasty.
In addition, the beacon mound on Seolheulsan Mountain, supposedly used during the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592, shows that there was a large settlement here at least before that time.The village was originally called Gancheon, then changed its name to Gacheon in the mid Joseon Dynasty.In 2002, the Rural Development Administration designated Gacheon a traditional rural theme village.
The natural scenery of forests, fields and the sea, along with cultural features such as Gacheon Amsubawi Rock, which refers to two rocks, male and female, that were believed to drive away misfortune; Bapmudeom Altar(“rice grave”), the Seolheulsan Mountain beacon mound, and Nodo Island where Kim Man-jung was exiled, turn this area into a famous scenic spot.