Yun Seon-do (1587-1671), a noted scholar-official and poet during the mid-Joseon Dynasty, was filled with despair upon hearing that the king had surrendered to the invading forces of the Qing Dynasty, and went to Jejudo Island.
On his way there, however, he was so deeply impressed by the scenery on Bogildo Island that he decided to settle on this small island off the south coast.
Yun was 51 at the time and stayed on Bogildo Island for 13 years from 1631, the 15th year of the reign of King Injo, writing and gathering his thoughts.
He wrote most of his greatest poems during those years, including the sijo (three-line verse) cycle Eobu sasisa (Fishermen’s Songs of the Four Seasons).
He christened various rocks and mountain peaks around the island, and they still carry the names to this day.
Across the stream from his study, Nakseojae Hall, Yun made a pond, while on the mid-slope of the mountain he built Goksudang house, and another named Dongcheon Seoksil (literally, “Stone Chamber in Fairyland”).
In a scenic spot to the northeast of the valley he built Seyeonjeong Pavilion, where he would go to read or go boating.
Bogildo Island was enriched by Yun’s refined views on the harmony between man and nature and his Neo-Confucian thinking, as well as his aesthetic sensibility.