San 207, Deogi-dong, Seo-gu, Ilsan, Goyang, Gyeonggi-do Goyang-si Gyeonggi-do
The lacebark pine is also known as the "white pine" or "white bone pine" because its bark comes off, leaving the tree trunk white.
The species was introduced to Korea by Chinese envoys during the Joseon dynasty.
This lacebark pine in Songpo is about 250 years old.
It is about 11.5m tall and has as a girth of 2.39m, and stands at the entrance to the village.
Seen from the side, this tree resembles an upturned triangle because its branches are spread like the ribs of a fan.
The bark of this Lacebark Pine is not relatively whiter than other white pines.
There are two stories about the tree.
According to one, Yu Ha-gyeom received two lacebark pines from Chinese envoys during the reign of King Seonjo (r.
1567-1608) of the Joseon Dynasty, whereupon an ancestor of the Choe family (Choe Sang-gyu is the present owner of the Lacebark Pine) living in the village planted one of them at the village cemetery, where it eventually grew into a large tree.
According to the other story, Choe Su-won, a Joseon general, stayed at one of the six fortresses built by Kim Jong-seo during the reign of King Sejong (r.
1418-1450) and planted the lacebark pine there.
The villagers named this tree the "Tang pine" because it had been introduced from China.
The lacebark pine in Songpo, Goyang is a rare tree that has been preserved for many years, making it an important material for historical studies.